Automated Programs let you eliminate manual processes so you can deliver your email marketing campaigns with low effort.
Here we'll create a basic automation to get you confident with the Automated Journey Builder.
Step A: Create a New Program
- When signed in to Act-On, go to Automation > Automated Programs:
- At the top right, click + New Program.
The Automated Journey Builder opens to build your new program.
Step B: Settings For Your Program
- In the Act-On Automated Journey Builder, at the top, click the Settings tab.
- In Program Details on the right, type a Name and Description for your program, for example:
- In Contact Sources, click Select Sources.
The Select Lists & Segments dialog appears.
- Find the contacts segment you created in step 2. Add Your Contacts.
In the example below, a segment in Act-On Contacts is selected:
- Select your segment and click Submit.
The segment appears in Contact Sources.
- In Options, select Suppress entrants on suppression lists.
This ensures that contacts on bounce lists or suppression domains are blocked from entering.
It’s highly recommended that this option is selected.
- At the top right, click Save.
Step C: Build Your Program
- At the top left, click Build > Program Flow.
We'll create a simple program that emails on two occasions and then takes action depending on whether the email was opened.
- Click (between Start & Exit the Program) and in the Add New Step dialog, select Send Email:
- In the Send Message dialog, from the Select Message list, select Click To Add New Message...:
- As you successfully sent an email earlier in this training (in Step 3), in the Add Message To Program dialog, click Sent Message.
Your email should be available for selection:
- Select your email & click Submit.
- In the Send Message dialog, check your email is in Select Message and click Submit.
The Send Email Message step (A-1) is in the program flow:
- Now click the under the Send Email Message step, and in Add New Step, click Wait:
- In the Wait dialog, set the wait time to 10 minutes and click Submit:
Note: It's important to always add a Wait step after a Send Email Message step to give recipients a chance to respond.
Here, we set the Wait Period to 10 minutes to see the program working quickly. It would usually be longer, such as 2 days.
- Your program flow should now look like this:
- Repeat from step 2 above to add another Send and Wait step, so your program flow looks like this:
- Now, below the second Wait step (A-4), click the and add a Branch step.
- In the Step dialog, type the Step Name "Didn't open emails 1 & 2", select the branch criteria as shown, and then click Submit:
- We now have a branch for actions to take if the recipient did or didn't open the email.
Click the on the YES branch, and add a Send Alert step.
In Send to Emails enter your email address, to receive the alert.
Type a Subject and a Message for the alert in the boxes, for example:
When you have finished, click Submit.
- Click the on the NO branch, add a Send Email step and select an email.
If you have time, make the program more interesting by creating a different email to use here (as described in Step 3. Create a Basic Email) such as a friendly message reminding them of the benefits of engaging.
If not, the same email will still show the program working.
- Your program flow should look like this:
- At the top right, click Save.
Step D: Start Your Program
- If you have your program open and saved in the Automated Journey Builder, at the top right, click Actions > Start program:
Otherwise, go to Automation > Automated Programs > Programs tab > All Programs, hover over your program, and click Start program:
- In the Start Program dialog, you are prompted about the contacts you added to the program in Step B above. Select Add contacts to program and click Confirm:
- A confirmation appears regarding adding contacts to the program.
In the All Programs list, a green dot shows the program running:
Step E: See Your Program's Performance
- With your program running, go to Automation > Automated Programs > Programs tab > All Programs, hover over your program, and click Show dashboard:
- A program performance report should show meaningful data about your running program, for example:
- At the top left, click Report > Steps.
A report shows the steps in your program completed by the contacts, for example:
- Click Report > Email performance.
A report shows how your emails performed in the program, for example:
What Good Looks Like
- A program flow, as shown at the end of step C above.
- Your program runs without errors.
- Reports on your Program performance, Steps, and Email Performance have meaningful data.
- Act-On has a library of Automated Program templates for you to edit and customize. See Using Content Catalog Automated Program Templates.
- For more information on any of the steps above, see the Automated Journey Builder User Guide and Using Act-On's Automated Programs Dashboard.
There's More to Program BuildingThis exercise is a basic program to get you started; there is much more to building a program to deliver your email marketing campaigns with low effort. See Advanced Automated Programming.
You've finished the new user training - well done!