Managing Soft Bounces
Soft bounces are not permanent failures like hard bounces. The email addresses are valid; however, Act-On was unable to reach the inbox.
Move to Inactive Soft Bounces
You can set a policy to moved repeated soft bounces to your Inactive Soft Bounces List automatically. There is no default threshold, so until you set one your contacts will remain in the Soft Bounce list indefinitely.
To set the default number of tolerated soft bounces in your Act-On account:
- Click Contacts > Other Lists, and choose Bounces & Opt-Outs
- Select Soft Bounces List, and click Move to Inactive Soft Bounces after...
- Select the number of tolerated soft bounces
- Click Save
Removing a contact from Inactive Soft Bounces
- Follow the steps above to update your soft bounce tolerance threshold
- Set the limit to ∞ (infinity)
All contacts will be moved to the soft bounce list. Keep in mind that emails on the soft bounce list are included as unique emails towards your Active Contacts Limit for each month. To mitigate this, send out a message that includes the recipients you just removed from the inactive list – if the message is delivered then those recipients will be moved out of your Soft Bounce list as well. You can then repeat the steps above and set your threshold back to what it was, if desired, to reset your inactive soft bounce calculation.
Moving to Hard Bounces
After a few tries, it may be worthwhile to consider moving these addresses to the Hard Bounces list. Here's how:
- Click Contacts, and then click Other Lists, followed by selecting Bounces & Opt-Outs.
- Hover over the Soft Bounces List, and click Open.
- If necessary, use the search option at the top of the page to locate the email address you're looking for.
- Once the address has been located, use the icon to the left of the address to move it from the Soft Bounces list to the Hard Bounces list.