Instructions for how and when to update the Act-On package for Salesforce for existing integrations.
- Salesforce System Administrator username, password, and security token
- Act-On Marketing or Admin user credentials (optional)
- Pop-up blocker disabled
Not sure if you need to upgrade? Check our related article: How to Check Your Act-On Salesforce Package Version
Installing the newest Act-On package requires some changes to settings in your Salesforce Setup. These changes should be done in the following order:
- Set up a Custom Domain (if not already configured)
- Install the new Act-On Package
- Pre-approve OAuth for your Act-On Users
- Review additional user permissions
- Add new Act-On features
Step 1: Set up a Domain for Salesforce
Note: Some Salesforce accounts already have this configured.
This step sets up a custom subdomain for your Salesforce account, which is required to use the Act-On Lightning app.
- Log into Salesforce as a System Administrator
- Set up custom marketing name/vanity for Salesforce package to work
- Go to Company Settings > My Domain
- Click Add a Domain
- Enter the domain name
- Click on Check Availability
- Register Domain (Note: this can take a few minutes)
- Click on Login
See Salesforce Help for more information on this setting and more advanced configuration options.
Step 2: Upgrade the Act-On Package
Note: When installing the package, a custom field will be created labeled "AccountId18char". This is a field necessary for our Account Report feature.
- In Act-On, go to Settings > Connectors > CRM > Salesforce. (Connect to Salesforce if you are not already connected)
- Click on the Install Package button
- Click OK to acknowledge that you have set up your Remote Site Settings (above)
- A new window will pop up. Log in to Salesforce as a System Administrator
- Select Install for All Users
- Check the box to acknowledge this is a non-native Salesforce App
- Click Install.
Note: This may take a while. You will receive an email when the installation is complete.
Step 3: Pre-approve OAuth for Act-On Users
This allows users to access Lightning features.
- Go to Setup > Apps > App manager > Act-On Lightning Support > select Manage from drop-down
- Click Edit Policies
- Go to OAuth policies > Permitted Users > Admin approved users are pre-authorized > Save
- If you get a pop-up warning, click OK
- Scroll down and find the button "Manage Profiles"
- Check the box for System Administrator and any other Profiles for your Act-On Users (eg, Custom Sales Profile), click Save
See Salesforce Help for more information on this setting.
Step 4: Review Additional User Permissions
This new package requires some additional user permissions in order to use our new Lightning features.
- As System Administrator, go to Setup > Users > Profiles
- Select the user profile for your Sales team
- Go to System Permissions and click Edit
- Enable the following permissions (if not already on):
- API Enabled
- Run Reports
- View Reports in Public Folder
Step 5: Remove Deprecated Components
Some Act-On Components are no longer supported with this version.
- Send Act-On Email to Report (Lightning home page only). See Send to Report button for instructions.
- activityHistoryInlineContact (Visualforce Page on Lead and Contact layouts)
Step 6: Install New Act-On Components
Follow to these pages for instructions to add the new Act-On components: