The Act-On / NetSuite Plugin extends Act-On into the NetSuite CRM – giving CRM users access to a contact or lead’s activity history, extending the ability to use Act-On’s trackable email to message a lead or contact directly within the CRM, and adds Act-On’s Hot Prospect technology right into your NetSuite CRM Dashboard.
In order to integrate Act-On with your NetSuite instance, you'll need to authenticate to Act-On using credentials for that NetSuite account. To ensure that the account you are authenticating with has the proper permissions and generate the credentials required to connect to Act-On, you'll first need to log into NetSuite and follow the instructions specified in this document (summarized in Generating Admin Authentication Credentials in NetSuite and Generating Non-Admin Authentication Credentials in NetSuite sections below).
- NetSuite Administrator credentials (see the next section below for options on user permissions after the initial setup)
- Act-On Marketing or Administrator credentials
Minimum User Permissions for NetSuite
The initial connection must be made using NetSuite administrative user credentials.
Going forward, if you wish to connect with a non-administrative role or user, the following permissions, at a minimum, must be granted to the user authenticated to the connector:
At the account-level, certain features must be enabled for Act-On to connect and sync data.
In NetSuite, this is located under Setup > Company > Enable Features then clicks on SuiteCloud (tab). Enable the following features:
- Server SuiteScript
- SOAP Web Services
- Token-Based Authentication
Set Role Permissions/Access
If you do not use an Administrator role for the integration, these are the minimum permissions for a role set for connecting to Act-On:
- Employee Restrictions: None
- Subsidiary Restrictions: (enable) All
- Permissions > Lists
- Accounts: Full
- Classes: Full
- Companies: Full
- Contact Roles: Full
- Contacts: Full
- Custom Record Entries: Full
- Customer Profile: Full
- Customers: Full
- Employee Records: View
- Employees: View
- Marketing Campaigns: Full
- Notes Tab: Full
- Subsidiaries: Full (if applicable)
- Track Messages: Full
- Permissions > Setup
- Accounting Lists: Full
- CRM Lists: Full
- Company Information: Full
- Custom Entity Fields: Full
- Custom Fields: Full
- Custom Lists: Full
- Custom Record Types: Full
- Customer Status: Full
- Deleted Records: Full
- User Access Tokens
- WebServices: Full
- Forms > Entity
- Ensure all form options for Type:Contact are enabled
- Ensure all form options for Type:Customer/Lead/Prospect are enabled
Note: In Netsuite, permissions will vary based on department, subsidiary, role, and other settings which may have been customized for your account. If you are experiencing permissions errors with specific fields, records, or data types please contact your NetSuite Administrator for assistance.
Connect to NetSuite
To connect Act-On and NetSuite, you must use token-based authentication. Follow these instructions to set up NetSuite login tokens for use with the Act-On integration.
Generate Admin Authentication Credentials in NetSuite
- Log into your NetSuite account using an administrator role
- Navigate to Setup > Company > Enable Features > SuiteCloud
- On the SuiteCloud tab, enable the following features in the SuiteScript, SuiteTalk and Manage Authentication sections:
- SuiteScript: Client SuiteScript, Server SuiteScript
- SuiteTalk: Web Services
- Manage Authentication: SuiteSignOn, Token-Based Authentication
- Click Save
- Next, navigate to Setup > Integrations > Manage Integrations
- Select New to create an application for your Act-On integration
- Give your integration a descriptive name (e.g. ActOnTBA), select User Credentials and Token Based Authentication in the Authentication section and click Save
- Once the integration has been saved successfully a Consumer Key and Consumer Secret will be displayed
Generating Admin Credentials in NetSuite
- From an admin account, navigate to Home > Settings > Manage Access Tokens
- Click New My Access Token
- Select the application you just created (e.g. ActOnTBA) from the Application Name dropdown, the Token Name field will autopopulate
- Click Save
- The Token ID and Token Secret will be displayed and can be used, along with the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret from step 8, to authenticate to Act-On following the steps described in the Connecting to NetSuite from Act-On section below
Note: Keep the page with your Consumer Key and Consumer Secret open until you are ready to enter them into Act-On. If you navigate away from the screen, don't worry, you'll just need to generate those credentials again following the instructions from NetSuite.
Generating Non-Admin Credentials in NetSuite
We recommend connecting to NetSuite using an admin role. If you choose to do so using an integration role, please follow the steps below to ensure that the user has the proper authentication permissions.
- Log in to a NetSuite admin account and navigate to Setup > User Roles > Manage Roles
- Select the role you intend to use for your integration and click Edit button in their record
- Scroll down to the Permissions section and select the Setup tab
- From the dropdown menu, select User Access Tokens and click Add
- Click Save
- Log in to the account you've just enabled with User Access Token permissions
- Navigate to Home > Settings > Manage Access Tokens
- Click New My Access Token
- The Token ID and Token Secret will be displayed and can be used, along with the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret generated from an admin account to authenticate to NetSuite from Act-On following the steps below
Connecting to NetSuite from Act-On
- Click the Settings gear icon, choose Connectors
- Under CRM, choose NetSuite
- Enter the specified credentials (Note: Account ID is case-sensitive)
- Click Login.
- The connection to NetSuite is now established.
Import & Sync with NetSuite
CRM Administration Setup and Sync
To view the CRM Administration panel in Act-On, go to Settings > CRM Administration. This is where you can select fields to use in personalization (eg outbound emails), sync Email Opt-outs, and import Opportunity and Revenue data for reporting.
See CRM Administration Setup and FAQs for full instructions on this setup.
To start marketing to your NetSuite contacts, you will need to first import them into Act-On. To do this, go to your marketing lists and select the Import button that has the NetSuite logo on it:
You will have four different options to import:
- Affiliated with Customers -this is a contact whose affiliated company stage is set to Customer.
- Affiliated with Prospects – this is a contact whose affiliated company stage is set to Prospect.
- Affiliated with Leads – this is a contact whose affiliated company stage is set to Lead.
- Unaffiliated – any contact who is not affiliated with a company
Selecting an option will put in a default name for the new list. The name can be changed, and must be unique within Act-On.
After choosing the list you would like to import, click Next. Act-On will retrieve the fields available for import.
Choose the fields that you would like to import. Important fields:
- Email – Act-On uses email as the key to track behavior, so this field is very important to include.
- Lead Score – this is a new custom field that was created in NetSuite via the Act-On Connector. It is designed to contain the Act-On Lead Score. If you would like to see the lead score in NetSuite, then you must include this field in your selection set.
- Sales Rep - required for the Hot Prospects dashboard to reflect your most active leads to their sales reps in NetSuite.
Once you've selected your fields to import, click Finish. The field selection can be changed any time after import.
When the import completes, you can repeat these steps to import other lists.
The initial import is a one-time event. If you wish to keep the list synchronized with NetSuite CRM, you can create and schedule an automated sync.
To schedule an automated sync:
- Hover the cursor over the list you wish to enable and click on the drop-down menu.
- Go to Import and Export > NetSuite CRM Sync Setup
A dialog box will open. Here, you can set schedules to automatically push or pull data between NetSuite CRM and Act-On. Typically, Act-On customers will push the Act-On lead score to NetSuite CRM, and pull all of the other values.
Push the Act-On Lead Score to NetSuite:
- Check the Push to NetSuite CRM box and the Update box under Push.
- Click on the Select Push-Update Fields link.
- To push the Lead Score, check the box to include your Lead Score field
Important! Lead Scores should only be pushed to NetSuite. When scheduling your list push, never set your CRM list to pull the Behavior Score field. This can cause a range of issues including incorrect scores and excessively long sync times.
After saving, click on Pull from NetSuite CRM. In general:
- Check the Add box if you would like new contacts to be added into Act-On. Most customers do select this.
- Check the Update box if you want to update specific fields in your Act-On list with new or updated data points in your NetSuite CRM.
- Check Remove to remove contacts from Act-On that were removed in NetSuite CRM.
To continue on with our instructions for pushing a lead score from your Act-On list to your NetSuite CRM:
- Check Update in the Pull From dialog box.
- Check on the Select Push-Update Fields.
- Check Act-On Score.
- After saving, click the Schedule button.
You can setup when you would like the sync to occur. It can be set as often as every one hour. Click the save button to finish the sync setup. Repeat these steps for the other lists you would like to keep in sync.
Add New Fields to a List
After doing an import, you can add additional fields to a current list. To do this
- Go to the NetSuite CRM Sync Setup under the More menu and click the Add List Columns button.
- A dialog box will open, allowing you to choose the new fields to add.
Update Lead Score for NetSuite Contacts
In the above section, you already set up the lead score field to sync to NetSuite. Next, you must set up the field to update on your Act-On list using a List Maintenance program. This will update the value in your list so it will send an updated lead score to NetSuite.
- Go to Contacts > Marketing Lists
- Hover over the list in question, click on the drop-down menu and go to Maintenance > Setup Maintenance Program
- Enter a name for the program, and a description if you like
- Click on the add step button, and select Change Field Values
- Enter the Step Name to something descriptive, such as "Update Lead Score in List"
- In the first section of the step, select the second radio button: "find the corresponding record"
- In the second section of the step:
- For the first drop-down, select your Lead Score field
- For the second drop-down, select Set Value to Behavioral Score
- Click Done
- Click Save at the top of the list maintenance program
- Click on the schedule button:
- Set the schedule as desired. (We recommend scheduling this to run 5 minutes prior to the list sync.)
- Click Save
- Repeat steps 2-12 for any other lists that include the lead score.
If you wish to return to the Programs Listing, click the Listing button. This list is now fully set up to sync. Its listing will show the NetSuite icon on the left, and the gear icon for the maintenance program and calendar for the scheduled sync on the right.
Send Inbound Leads or Form Sign-ups to NetSuite CRM
Act-On forms can push data directly to NetSuite CRM in Step #2 of the form builder.
Push Sign-up Data to NetSuite CRM when someone submits a form
- This option lets you set the system to automatically push submission data into NetSuite CRM. Note that it's very important that your form fields map to your CRM fields; the label must be the same, including spelling and punctuation (watch out for variations such as "e-mail" and "email").
- If a company record does not exist, an "unaffiliated lead record" will be created.
- When checking this box, additional options will appear.
Overwrite existing Sign-up Data in NetSuite CRM
- Electing this option directs Act-On to find the existing record in your CRM database and overwrite the record’s data with the form submission data.
- If you don’t want all fields to be updated, you can specify only certain fields to be overwritten by selecting Use signup list’s Push settings to select fields.
Add a note to NetSuite CRM
Check this, and Act-On automatically document the user's Activity History noting the form submission.
Email Message Activity Note
When sending a message to a NetSuite connected list, there is an option to attach a note to the contact in NetSuite CRM:
- Act-On will attach a "Sent email" note in the contact’s activity history, where it can be seen by anyone reviewing the lead.
- By default the box will be checked and a note will be attached. If for any reason you prefer not to attach the note, just uncheck the box.
NetSuite CRM Saved Search/List View with Act-On Score
With the Act-On Lead Score being pushed to NetSuite, a saved search or a list view can be created that uses the lead score. This will enable the sales team to quickly focus on the most engaged targets.
- In NetSuite CRM, create a new Saved Search from List Menu > Search >Saved Searches.
- The results will display, sorted by Act-On Lead Score.
Install Act-On for NetSuite
Install the Act-On Bundle
- Log into your NetSuite Administrator account.
- Navigate to the Customization tab.
- Select the SuiteBundler, and the Search & Install Bundles.
- Search for Act-On
- Click Install Bundle and follow the steps.
Install the Act-On Tab
- Go to Customization > Centers and Tabs > Center Tabs and click on New
- Label: "Act-On"
- Center: All or Marketing Center, as you desire.
- In the content categories section, label “Act-On”, and in the Content Portlets section, select Custom Portlet, Column, Center, and Show, yes.
Set Up the Act-On Portlet
- Click on the Act-On Tab.
- On the Custom Content box - click the three dots > Set Up.
- Choose the source “Act-On Dashboard Portlet"
Set Up Hot Prospects
- Navigate to Home > Personalize Dashboard.
- Drag the “Custom Portlet” to your desired location.
- On the Custom Content Pane you just added, click the down arrow > set-up entry.
- Select the “Act-On Hot Prospects Dashboard” and save.
Next Steps: To completely configure your Hot Prospects dashboard, see NetSuite Hot Prospects Setup Guide.