You will need a custom marketing domain with an SSL certificate to host your Act-On pages and content. Web pages without SSL enabled will show security warnings in most modern browsers.
SSL is now fast and free! See below for more information.
Add a Custom Marketing Domain
A custom marketing domain lets you use your company name in the URLs for Act-On content (forms, landing pages, etc.) instead of a generic Act-On-generated address. If you want a new domain to use for Act-On content, you can purchase it at the hosting provider of your choice.
Note: Custom marketing domains cannot include special characters such as underscores.
To connect your custom domain to Act-On:
- Login to your Act-On account
- Go to Content > Branding > Domain
- Highlight the Default Marketing Domain and copy it to use below
- Have your IT or domain host create a CNAME called "marketing" or "info"
- Point the CNAME to the Default Marketing Domain that you copied
- Go to Content > Branding > Domain, click Edit, then add your newly created CNAME
Important: Your new domain is not secured. An SSL certificate must be added via the steps below.
Add an SSL Certificate
This certificate is required – without it, your content will be blocked by most web browsers. This also allows you to track visit data on web pages secured via HTTPS.
Option 1 (Preferred): Fast and Free SSL Process
This method is completely free to you, is very quick to implement, and is a one-time setup (does not need to be repeated unless you change your custom marketing domain).
Please note: This option is available to all customers. We highly recommend this method, as it's less expensive and far less maintenance effort than the option below.
Option 2 (Legacy): Purchase a Certificate
We recommend securing your account with our fast and free process (above). You also have the option to purchase and supply your own certificate:
- Provide some company information to Act-On Support (see this page)
- Support will reply with a certificate signing request (CSR)
- Buy an SSL certificate from the provider of your choice
Note: The certificate needs to be non-wildcard and either an OV, DV, or EV SSL certificate for an Apache HTTP server
- Send the certificate details to Act-On Support so it can be installed on your marketing domain
It may take 48 hours for this certificate to take effect. Please note that you will also have to renew this certificate periodically to keep it from expiring. If you are renewing a certificate and have your previous CSR from Act-On, you can skip the CSR request steps, buy the certificate, and contact Support with the certificate details.
Act-On's fast and free SSL certificates...
- Are Domain Validated (DV) certificates signed by Let's Encrypt
- Renew automatically every 90 days (no action required from you)
- Use the signature algorithm SHA256withRSA
- Have certificate keys stored securely on Act-On's servers
- Are trusted in and compatible with all modern browsers
The technology that Act-On uses to support 'https' pages when hosting a certificate is Transport Layer Security (TLS SNI). Below is a list of browsers that currently support TLS SNI:
- Opera 8.0 and later (the TLS 1.1 protocol must be enabled)
- Internet Explorer 7 or later (under Windows Vista and later only, not under Windows XP)
- Firefox 2.0 or later
- Curl 7.18.1 or later (when compiled against an SSL/TLS toolkit with SNI support)
- Chrome 6.0 or later (on all platforms – releases up to 5.0 only on specific OS versions)
- Safari 3.0 or later (under OS X 10.5.6 or later and under Windows Vista and later)