The first step in setting up your Act-On Contacts list is to define your data schema - the fields that you want to track. Continue reading for instructions to do this step-by-step.
This feature is available to users in the Act-On Contacts beta program.
Step 1: Choose your Field Names
Before you start, decide on the fields you will use in Act-On Contacts.
This should include any data about your contacts that will be used to personalize or segment contacts into different target markets.
For example, you’ll definitely want to include basic contact information, like:
- E-mail Address (this is required)
- First Name and Last Name
- Phone number
You may also want to track industry, preferences, interests, time zone, etc.
Not sure? No sweat! You can always add a new field later, even while you are importing new contacts.
Step 2: Add your Fields to Act-On Contacts
Add each field for your Contacts in Data Management:
- Go to Settings > Data Management
- On the left, pick from some of the Act-On Standard fields that are most commonly used by your customers. Pick any of the fields that are relevant to you.
- On the right, you can define your own custom fields. Just enter a name, and pick a data type.
- The Data Type drop-down will let you pick from Boolean, Date, Datetime, Text, Number, Score, Email. If you’re not sure what data type to pick, Text is usually a safe bet, but picking a Date when appropriate will help in future segmentation.
- You are required to have at least one field with Email data type
- Save your changes
Score Data Type
Act-On calculates a lead score based on a formula you design. You don’t need to store this lead score as a field in your data schema, but if you think you’ll want to export it for any reason, it would be useful to have it.
- When defining a Score field, you’ll have the opportunity to choose which score sheet to use.
- If you have multiple score sheets, you can define multiple score fields.
Early Access Program
This feature is available to accounts participating in the Act-On Contacts Early Access program.
To find out more information and join, contact our product team today.