You will need a custom marketing domain with an SSL certificate to host your Act-On pages and content. Web pages without SSL enabled will show security warnings in most modern browsers.
COMING SOON: We're working on a new feature that provides fast and free SSL for all our customers. Stay tuned for more information here, in our community, and in other channels closer to launch.
Add a Custom Marketing Domain
A custom marketing domain lets you use your company name in the URLs for Act-On content (forms, landing pages, etc.) instead of a generic Act-On-generated address. If you want a new domain to use for Act-On content, you can purchase it at the hosting provider of your choice.
Note: Custom marketing domains cannot include special characters such as underscores.
To connect your custom domain to Act-On:
- Login to your Act-On account
- Go to Content > Branding > Domain
- Highlight the Default Marketing Domain and copy it to use below
- Have your IT or domain host create a CNAME called "marketing" or "info"
- Point the CNAME to the Default Marketing Domain that you copied
- Go to Content > Branding > Domain, click Edit, then add your newly created CNAME
Important: Your new domain is not secured. An SSL certificate must be added via the steps below.
Add an SSL Certificate
This certificate is required to reach your audience – without it, your content will be blocked by most web browsers. Even if you have SSL configured elsewhere already, you will need a new certificate to add to your Act-On domain. This will also allow to track visit data on web pages secured via HTTPS.
Here's the process to add or update a certificate:
- Provide some company information to Act-On Support (see below)
- Support will reply with a certificate signing request (CSR)
- Buy an SSL certificate from the provider of your choice
Note: The certificate needs to be non-wildcard and either an OV, DV, or EV SSL certificate for an Apache HTTP server
- Send the certificate details to Act-On Support so it can be installed on your marketing domain
If you are renewing a certificate and have your previous CSR from Act-On, you can skip the CSR request steps, buy the certificate, and contact Support with the certificate details.
Request a CSR
Use this form:
Act-On Support will follow up with you to continue the installation.
The technology that Act-On uses to support 'https' pages when hosting a certificate is Transport Layer Security (TLS SNI). Below is a list of browsers that currently support TLS SNI:
- Opera 8.0 and later (the TLS 1.1 protocol must be enabled)
- Internet Explorer 7 or later (under Windows Vista and later only, not under Windows XP)
- Firefox 2.0 or later
- Curl 7.18.1 or later (when compiled against an SSL/TLS toolkit with SNI support)
- Chrome 6.0 or later (on all platforms – releases up to 5.0 only on specific OS versions)
- Safari 3.0 or later (under OS X 10.5.6 or later and under Windows Vista and later)