A custom marketing domain lets you use your company name in the URLs for Act-On content (forms, landing pages, etc.) instead of a generic Act-On-generated address. This must be combined with an SSL certificate for security purposes (many browsers will block content loaded without SSL).
Act-On's fast and free SSL certificates...
- Are Domain Validated (DV) certificates signed by Let's Encrypt
- Renew automatically every 90 days with no action required
- Use the signature algorithm SHA256withRSA
- Have certificate keys stored securely on Act-On's servers
- Are trusted in and compatible with all modern browsers
The technology that Act-On uses to support HTTPS when hosting a certificate is Transport Layer Security (TLS SNI). Below is a list of browsers that currently support TLS SNI:
- Opera 8.0 and later (the TLS 1.1 protocol must be enabled)
- Internet Explorer 7 or later (under Windows Vista and later only, not under Windows XP)
- Firefox 2.0 or later
- Curl 7.18.1 or later (when compiled against an SSL/TLS toolkit with SNI support)
- Chrome 6.0 or later (on all platforms – releases up to 5.0 only on specific OS versions)
- Safari 3.0 or later (under OS X 10.5.6 or later and under Windows Vista and later)
Step 1: Choose Your Marketing Domain and Point It to Act-On
First, choose the domain to connect to Act-On. You can use a domain you already own or purchase a new one from a hosting provider.
Next, create a CNAME on this domain, which adds a new subdomain (eg. info.company.com) that "points" to the content in your Act-On account. This will be the domain that will be used in your URLs for all Act-On content (images, landing pages, "view in browser" emails, clickthrough links, etc).
Custom marketing domains must begin with an alphabetical character (a-z) and cannot include special characters such as underscores.
To create your CNAME:
- Login to your Act-On account and go to Content > Branding > Domain
- Find your account's Current Marketing Domain and save this - you will use it for creating your CNAME record.
- If you see two domains here, then you are probably changing domains. Choose the Default Marketing Domain
- Example: a12345.actonsoftware.com
- Work with your IT admin or domain host to:
Step 2: Add an SSL Certificate
This certificate is required – without it, your content will be blocked by most web browsers. This also allows you to track visit data on web pages secured via HTTPS.
Option 1 (Preferred): Fast and Free SSL Process
This method is completely free to you, is very quick to implement, and is a one-time setup (does not need to be repeated unless you change your custom marketing domain).
Option 2 (Legacy): Purchase a Certificate
We recommend securing your account with our fast and free process (above). You also have the option to purchase and supply your own certificate, but this includes additional maintenance and risk of expiration.
- Provide some company information to Act-On Support (see this page)
- Support will reply with a certificate signing request (CSR)
- Buy an SSL certificate from the provider of your choice
Note: The certificate needs to be non-wildcard and either an OV, DV, or EV SSL certificate for an Apache HTTP server
- Send the certificate details to Act-On Support so it can be installed on your marketing domain
It may take 48 hours for this certificate to take effect. Please note that you will also have to renew this certificate periodically to keep it from expiring. If you are renewing a certificate and have your previous CSR from Act-On, you can skip the CSR request steps, buy the certificate, and contact Support with the certificate details.
Step 3: Connect Your Custom Domain to Act-On
With all the required setup complete, you can now connect your custom domain to Act-On:
- Login to your Act-On account
- Go to Content > Branding > Domain
- Click Edit in the upper right corner
- Add in your subdomain (e.g., info.company.com) and click Save
- Do NOT include
https://protocol when adding in your subdomain address (e.g. http://info.company.com)
- Do NOT enter your Act-On account host here (e.g. ci35.actonsoftware.com)
- Do NOT include
- You will now see your custom domain listed as the Current Marketing Domain and your Act-On content will be served over that URL.
Our company is rebranding. Can we change our Custom Marketing Domain?
Yes. Please refer to the Re-Branding Guide for instructions.
Our company manages multiple brands/domains. Can we set up multiple Marketing Domains for our account?
Act-On can only use one marketing domain per account. To have multiple domains, you can set up multiple accounts that are linked. Contact your Account Manager for details.