Disclaimer: This article refers to Classic Forms, a legacy feature no longer available for new accounts. Classic Forms has limited support. For more information on our newest Forms Composer, see Forms Composer User Guide.
To create a drop-down list in a form:
- Click on Content > click Forms.
- From the Forms page, select New in the upper right corner of the page (or edit an existing form).
- When a new form is created, three default fields will appear: First Name, Last Name, and Email Address.
- Hover over a block to access the sub-menu and select New.
- Select Drop List. The Edit Drop-down List Field dialog window will appear with three editing areas: Display Settings, Input Validation, and Data Field Name.
- Display Settings – Allows you to add a visible label name and customize the width of the field to match your desired look and feel
- Drop List Choices and Corresponding Values – Allows you to designate the selections or options that users can choose from:
- Drop List Choices is a customer-facing value, while Corresponding Values is a field association within Act-On
- If you need more fields than the default, click the More Choices button to add as many as you need
- Templates – You have the choice to use a previously-created drop-down list template (e.g., U.S States). After it has been created once, it can be reused.
- Input Validation – Provides the option to make the drop-down list a required field for the user
- Data Field Name – This will be the column name on the list created to collect data from your form. In many cases the label and field name will be the same, but you may wish to classify the answers in different verbiage with respect to your label.
- Each drop-down list represents a single form field in Act-On and feeds a single column in the Signup list associated with the form. When you add or edit one of these blocks, you define a name for the form field. The final 'field mapping' of form fields to the list columns takes place on the Finish page of the form editor.
- Once you have completed your selections, click the Submit button at the bottom of the dialog window.