- Copy a record from one list/segment to another
- Change a specific field value for every record in a list
- Inject behavior score or campaign score into a list
Creating a New Program
There are two ways to create a List Maintenance Program: from the Automation navigation menu or from the list you want to edit.
- Navigate to Automation > List Maintenance Program and click the plus sign
In the dropdown for a specific list, choose Maintenance > Setup Maintenance Program
- Enter a Name and Description for the List Maintenance Program
- Under Program Contacts, click Select to identify a source list for the program
- Click Add Step and choose a step and the relevant settings (see below for a detailed breakdown)
- Add as many of the steps above as you need
- Click Save
- Click Only when clicking the Now button to schedule the frequency of the List Maintenance Program schedule
For Example: In the above image, the program will run at the following times: 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm. The program will NOT run from 12am-12pm the following day.
Best practice: Run list maintenance programs during off business hours (when you are not sending emails).
While the program is running, the lists referenced by the program are locked from any changes. Emails to these lists will not send until the program has finished.
To change the schedule after creation, go into the Dashboard and follow the same steps.
Step Types and Details
Copy to Another List
This adds records from the program's list to any other list.
- Choose when to copy contacts
- Copy contact – copies all records
- Copy only if contact – copies the records to a new list if they meet certain criteria (is in a specific segment, is not in a segment, clicked on a particular message, etc.)
- Select list to copy to
- This list must contain the same fields that you want copied from the program list – any fields that are not present will not be copied over
- Both lists must have the email address field identified for system use
- Choose how duplicate records will be handled
- Append – the second record with the same email address will be added to the end of the list
- Update – the first record will be updated with any new values
- Note: Blank values will not overwrite any fields that already contain value
Copy From Another Segment
This adds records from another list/segment into your program's list.
- Select a list to copy from
- Choose how new vs. existing records will be handled
- Append and merge – add new contacts to the program list, and add any values to existing records that are currently blank
- Merge – do not add any new contacts, but add any values to existing records that are currently blank
- Choose whether to overwite and/or delete existing data
- Update records – values on the program list will be overwritten
- Remove records if not present in source – remove contacts from the program list if they are not found in the other list
Change Field Value
Updates the value of a particular list field.
- Choose a condition to check to update that field
- Check if contact is in a segment or matches other behavior criteria (is in a specific segment, is not in a segment, clicked on a particular message, etc.)
- Apply this update to all contacts
- Choose a list where the field can be updated (this can be source list or any other list)
- Choose which field to update, and how to update it:
- Set value to a specific text or number value
- Increment or Decrement – add or subtract any number
- Set value to behavior score (and choose any score sheet)
- Set value to campaign score (and choose any campaign)
- Assign unique number is list – assign a number starting at 1 to each contact
- Clear the value
- Set value to contact time zone – Act-On will guess what the time zone should be
Managing Your Programs
When the List Maintenance Programs are created, you can hover over them to view the dashboard, edit the program, delete it, or move them to a different folder within the page. We recommend creating a folder system to keep your programs organized for easy access.
From the main Maintenance Program page, you will also notice columns for the date last run (in grey italics), the status (draft, valid or scheduled), and when the program is next scheduled to be run.