Personalization fields show a customer's data fields in your email message, allowing you to include relevant content that speaks directly to each person. You can insert personal information such as their first name, CRM information such as their account owner, important information such as your company's local address (for example, if you have multiple locations), and much more.
The Email Composer allows you to use several types of Personalization fields in your Rich Text Blocks:
- Recipient Standard Fields: Contact fields on your list that have been mapped to Act-On
- Recipient List Fields: Fields defined on your recipient list or lists
- Recipient CRM Fields*: Fields sourced from your integrated CRM
- Sender Fields*: Fields that change based on who is sending the email. This can come from your Act-On Account or from Salesforce CRM.
* Account-Based Marketing is required for Recipient CRM and Salesforce Sender Fields.
This article focuses on using standard fields and list fields to personalize emails. For full instructions to use personalization with CRM data, see our related article here: How to Personalize Email Content with CRM Data.
Method 1: Add Personalizations to Email
- In the Act-On Email Composer, navigate to Design > Content
- Drag and drop a Rich Text Block onto your Email Message
- You may also hover over an existing Rich Text Block and click the pencil icon to edit it
- Click the Personalization icon to open the Insert Personalization window
- Select a Personalization Field Type and the desired fields
- Add Fallback text
- This step is not required. However, it is strongly recommended as part of best practice, as adding fallback text prevents messages from failing to send if a Personalization field is missing data.
- Click Insert
- Click OK
Method 2: Add Personalizations Manually
Add Personalizations manually into a Rich Text Block by enclosing the desired field name in double brackets:
We highly recommend adding fallback text. Add it to your personalization using the following format:
Next Step: Preview your Email Personalizations
Once you are finished adding your Personalization fields, make sure to preview your email to check for accuracy: Preview Email Personalizations