When enabled, links from Act-On emails will have UTM parameters added to them with information on the source, campaign, etc., that led the contact to your web page. Data is not passed between accounts – instead, URL parameters are added to give you more insight into your external analytics account.
Step 1: Email Link UTM Parameter Configuration
Configure the email link UTM parameter to receive all the analytics from either Google Analytics or Coremetrics as follows:
- Navigate to Settings > Connectors.
- Click Web Analytics.
- Choose Google Analytics or Coremetrics.
- Click on the box to Enable Google Analytics/Coremetrics.
- Enter the domains tracked by these accounts.
- If you're tracking multiple domains, enter each domain separated by commas
- Only use basic domains (for example, enter "act-on.com" only)
- Make sure you don't enter https:// before the domain name
- Click Save.
Step 2: Add Google Analytics UTM Parameters to Your Email
You can change your default UTM parameters in the email message composer for Google Analytics.
- In the email composer, click the Address tab > Click on the + button next to "Google Analytics":
- Add your parameters.
You can change the Google Analytics UTM_campaign value for each email message you send from the application. The subject line will remain as the default value if no changes are made; however, you may now simply add any value you would like within the UTM_campaign field on the Address step of the email composer for a given message. This value will then get populated as the UTM_campaign query string value for all links in the message.
- Click Save.
What are the Coremetrics default parameters?
- cm_vendor = “Act-On%20Software” (parameters will always have encoded characters, %20 is a space)
- cm_category = email
- cm_placement = Email Subject Line
- cm_item__0 = the name of the click-though link (by default, it is “Default”)