If you are looking to access data in a hurry, creating an export using a template will let you quickly select a predefined best practice export definition (without having to worry about the fine details of an export definition), optionally make minor tweaks to it and save it as a new Export definition.
In this article, we'll show you how to:
- Create your first data export using a template.
- When signed in to Act-On, go to Reports > Data Studio. A new browser tab opens.
- On the left, click Exports, & on the right click New from template to create your first export:
- Pick a Dataset. You will have the option to export from:
- Landing Pages
- Email Messages
- Website Traffic
- Pick a Template. Depending on the Dataset you choose to export, you will have access to different templates:
- Data Studio enters a default Name and Description for the Data Export. Edit to what you want.
- For the chosen dataset, select which actions you are interested in exporting. The options available vary, depending on the dataset.
- You can apply optional Inclusive Filters to restrict the data retrieval at its source. You can filter based on:
• Campaigns - Limit exported data to specific campaigns
• Messages - Limit exported data to specific messages
• Automated Programs - Limit exported data to specific automation
To do this, click select under either Inclusive Filter option, and select the campaigns/messages you would like to include.
- Click Next.
- Chose to export either Detailed log data or Aggregated rolled-up data based on any of the given choices provided.
- Click Next.
- To define your data export structure, either double-click or drag any of the Available Fields over to the Selected Fields box. You can also click the popular button next to Selected Fields to quickly build the structure of your export output.
Select the Generate a weekly heatmap checkbox. to generate an easy-to-read visualization of hourly traffic patterns.
- Set the Date Format for your export.
- Click Next.
If you would like to further filter the data you will be exporting, you can specify highly specific additional filters. Click 'here', and create the filters you would like to apply.
- Select the filter for birthday and select the appropriate criteria: "if birthday contains 5/26".
- Select the filter for Mailing City and select the appropriate criteria: "if mailing city is Roseville".
- Select the filter for Mailing State/Province and select the appropriate criteria: "if mailing State/Province is Ca".
- Using the "Combine expressions with" drop-down, choose and, or, custom. The above example uses "And".
Click Next when you have finished
- Select if you would like an On Demand, Daily or Weekly, or Monthly report. Depending on your choice, fill in the required information.
- Click Next.
- On Demand - The date range selector will popup allowing you to select relative data ranges or all time.
- Daily (or Weekly) - If specific days of the week are selected, the export (or package) runs on those days between 3am and 5am in your account’s timezone but retrieves data for the previous X days (via the Last X Days selector).
- Monthly - The period for which data is retrieved is always a full month. The instance when the export (or package) runs is exactly on the 1st day of the following month (between 1am and 3am in the account’s timezone). As with the daily/weekly schedule, if a date boundary is specified, the monthly scheduled exports (or packages) always run within those bounds.
- Select the Data Export destination. The storage locations that you have enabled in Destinations will appear here. By default, the data will export to a CSV file.
- Add a File name. If you would like the name to always be the date, click Append Date.
- Choose the Format you want: a .csv file, a compressed .csv into a .zip file, or a compressed .csv into a .gz file.
- Set an optional Notification, and add the email address that the alert notification should be sent to.
- Click Finish. You will be taken to the Exports page.
If you chose an On Demand report, click Generate and set the date parameters. Your report will begin to download.
If you choose Daily, Weekly, or Monthly - your report will be ready on the specified days.