Automated Programs are set by default to use the list field mapped to Contact's Email Address as the unique identifier. There are, however, times when a contact may need to enter a program more than once, such as:
- If a contact has multiple orders
- If a returning visitor is requesting information from a different division
- If a customer recently purchased several products and each product has a unique warranty serial number
Adding an alternate unique ID allows your contact to enter and re-enter your Automated Program when submitting forms under the same email address.
How to Set an Alternate Unique ID
Once you have confirmed that the controlled feature for alternate unique identifiers has been enabled for your account, proceed to Automated Programs and follow these steps:
- Create a new Automated Program
- If you are editing an existing program, hover over the name of an existing Automated Program and select the pencil icon to edit in the Classic Automated Program Builder or select the flowchart icon to edit in the new Automated Journey Builder.
- Navigate to the General Settings tab
- Under Source Lists, add your list(s)
- In the Options section, click the checkbox next to Use alternate unique identifier
- Select the list field you'd like to use as a unique identifier
- Press save