Add a reCAPTCHA field to your Act-On Forms for an extra security measure. If you're receiving many blank form submissions, you may have spam bots submitting your Forms. Placing a reCAPTCHA field in your Forms will prevent this.
ReCAPTCHA requires Form visitors to click a checkbox before submitting their information. If they do not – or cannot, as is the case with spam bots – they will receive this error message:
The reCAPTCHA validation blocks form submissions until the user checks the box on the form UI.
Add a reCAPTCHA field to your Act-On Form
Follow these steps to add a reCAPTCHA field in your Act-On Forms:
- Go to Content > Forms
- Create a new Form or select an existing Form to edit
- See our Forms Composer User Guide for more help with creating and editing forms
- In the Forms Composer, go to the Design tab
- Drag this Captcha block into your Form:
- Click the Alignment drop-down and select center, left, or right alignment
- Click OK
- Save your Form
Tip! As a best practice, insert your reCAPTCHA field above the Submit button at the bottom of your Form.
Using reCAPTCHA on an External Form
You'll need to add a reCAPTCHA field to your custom forms that post to Act-On using an External Form Post URL. Do not add a reCAPTCHA to the mirrored form in Act-On. This will block form submissions. Work with your web developer to add a reCAPTCHA to your custom form.
Troubleshooting & FAQs
Which version of reCAPTCHA does Act-On use?
We are currently providing reCAPTCHA v2 on Forms and Classic Forms. Read more about reCAPTCHA v2 here.
Why do I get a reCAPTCHA error when submitting my Form?
You or your Form's visitors may encounter the following error when submitting Forms with reCAPTCHA fields:
Unable to Submit Form. The captcha for the form is not configured to work for this domain. Please notify the form administrator.
If this happens, review the following to make sure you've correctly set up your Form:
- Is the Act-On Form embedded correctly on your site?
- Forms: Is your external domain configured to work with the Form? See Allowing Forms on External Domains for more information.
- Classic Forms: Convert to your Classic Form in our current Forms Composer and set up the External Domain to embed with reCAPTCHA on your site. See Classic Form Conversion for more information.
- Does your Act-On account have an SSL certificate set up?
- See Adding an SSL Certificate to Your Custom Marketing Domain for more information on adding an SSL certificate to your custom marketing domain.
- Does your website have a Referrer Policy that allows information to pass externally? See Referrer-Policy (Owasp.org) for more information.
- We recommend a "no-referrer-when-downgrade" policy, however, any policy that provides referrer data will function.