Gated content is content that requires a contact to submit a form before gaining access (e.g. whitepaper, case study, e-book). In this two-way exchange, you receive the user's contact information while they receive your valuable content.
Once a prospect completes your form, the prospect's browser will be prompted to download the file. Contacts can access these gated media assets until their form cookie expires (1 year), or until they clear their browser cookies.
A great way to use Gated Content is in combination with progressive profiling. Prospects will be shown the form on future visits until the series of progressive questions have been completed. They will have an incentive to complete the new questions each time because they will gain access to your collection of content one piece at a time.
This feature creates a unique Gated Content URL that you will use instead of the standard link to your Form's web page.
Here is how this works:
- Your prospect clicks on the Gated Content URL (such as from your website, an advertisement, or an email)
- The URL takes them to the landing page with your form
- Once the prospect submits the form, their browser will be prompted to download the file
Not quite what you're looking for?
Another way to deploy gated content is via email. You could add a media file download to your form response email instead of distributing content via the browser download. (This is also helpful when you need an incentive for prospects to complete double opt-in for GDPR compliance.)
New Form Composer
Step 1: Upload Content to the Media Library
For instructions, see this related article: Upload Images, Files, and Create Redirect URLs
Step 2: Attach Media to Your Form
- Open the Form Composer, select the Properties tab, and go to the Response Page section
- Add your redirect URL to the Response tab. This can go to another Landing Page or a Rich Text Block that says "Thank You".
- Go to the Gated Content tab and click the plus + icon
- Select one or more pieces of content
- Each media file will have its own access URL for the form's Landing Page. Prospects who access the landing page from each URL will receive the associated content piece.
- Click OK to close the Response Page section
- Finish creating your form and Save it
Step 3: Retrieve Gated Content URLs
Gated Content URLs are different for forms embedded in Act-On landing pages than those embedded externally. Check the relevant steps below for how to get the URL based on how you are deploying your form.
Gated Content URL from Act-On Landing Page
- Once you’ve completed and saved your form, embed it on a Landing Page with a form block if it isn't there already.
- On the Properties tab, scroll down to the Gated Content URLs section
- Copy the URL of choice from the list of Gated Content URLs.
- Use this URL to distribute the Landing Page and Form to prospects. Add it to your marketing anywhere you are promoting this content (e.g. website, Act-On email, web ads, social media posts, etc.)
- Each piece of content will have its own URL. If you are distributing multiple media files, deploy each URL separately to promote each piece of content.
Gated URL from External Page
- Once you’ve completed and saved your Form, select the Embed tab and go to the External Pages section.
- In the External Page URLs tab, add the URL of the page where your form will be embedded in order to declare the domain.
- Go to the External Pages slideout and then to the Gated Content URLs tab and add the full URL path of the page where your form will be embedded (e.g. https://example.com/fullpath/example/).
- The Gated Content URLs section only appears after you have added the gated content to the form - see steps above.
- Gated Content links will be generated from the URL you enter in this section. Be sure to add the full address (not just the domain) to ensure your visitors are sent to the right page.
- Once you've added the full URL of the page where your form will be embedded, copy the Gated Content URL that Act-On provides – you must use this link for the customer to be directed to the content download. The standard URL for your Form's web page will not redirect to your Gated Content.
- If there are multiple pieces attached to your form a distinct URL will be shown for each – copy the appropriate URL to link to that piece of content.
Note: Due to restrictions on forcing content downloads on iOS devices the Response page will not be shown for forms that are completed on these devices. Instead, the visitor will be redirected to the content where they can manually initiate a download.
Classic Form Builder
- Click on Content, and click Media Library
- Hover over your document or media link and click the Down Arrow > Gated Content URL
- Click Add and select the classic form you would like to be associated with this content
- Click Create
- A unique URL is generated which is to be used if you wish to have the content gated.
This URL is independent of the forms Public URLs and can be used only if you wish to require visitors to submit a form before being able to access the content.