Accessing the Act-On Tab in Salesforce
Log in to your Salesforce account and navigate to the Act-On tab at the top of the interface.
- If you do not yet have the Act-On tab exposed, click the “+” sign to the right of your Salesforce tabs. Once on the Customize Tabs page, click Customize My Tabs in the upper right corner.
- In the Available Tabs menu, locate the Act-On tab and move it to the right menu by clicking the Add button.
- Click Save to add the Act-On tab to your interface.
- Click the tab to begin customizing your Act-On preferences as described below.
My Hot Prospects
The Hot Prospects are a prioritized list of the most active and engaged leads and contacts for which you are the sales owner. This is based on the types of activities and scores outlined in your score sheet. By default, the activity shown will be for the last seven days; however, you have the ability to change the timeframe in the drop-down menu.
- Hover over the Dollar icon to see the changes in lead scores over the period of time defined above
- Click on the customer name to open their Salesforce record, or select the Act-On Profile (on the right) to view their Act-On contact report
My Website Prospector
Track Anonymous and Known Visitors
Website Prospector allows you to track the activity of anonymous and known visitors coming to your website, as well as Act-On forms, and landing pages.
- On the left navigation panel, click Inbound > Website Prospector to display the website visitor tracking area. You have the ability to manipulate the timeframe that you are viewing. By default, this will be set to "Today" which shows all visitors from the current day only. To expand your search, choose a different timeframe using the drop-down menu.
- Anonymous – Shows anonymous visitors to your site. These are visitors who have not yet interacted with Act-On and therefore, are not known by name. Once you establish website prospector filters, you will only see visitors for your designated region. Hovering over the visitor will expose additional options.
- Known – Displays all known visitors to your website. If you have defined Sales Prospects lists, however, instead of the Known tab, you will see two other tabs: Leads & Contacts and Marketing Prospects. The Leads & Contacts tab allows you to see leads and contacts that you own in Salesforce that have previously interacted with Act-On. This means that the system knows who they are and can tell you, by name, that they have visited your website. The Marketing Prospects tab contains visitors that are known but no current account ownership has been assigned.
- The website prospector area provides the first method for setting up alerts. If you have visitors here, hover over the visitor and notice that you can click Add to Alerts which will automatically set up a rule to alert you every time that person visits your website. You can also set alerts in the Anonymous Visitors and the Marketing Prospects tabs.
- In the upper right corner, you will see a button for visitor alerts. Click on Prospector Alerts to set up your first alerts in Act-On. These alerts are sent via email directly to you whenever a visitor meets the criteria you define.
- Click Add Alert to set up an alert with criteria you define. You can add as many individual alert settings as you need with different conditions.
- Notice that the alert is set to send an email to you at first; however, you can add additional email addresses (separated by semicolons) to notify other individuals in your company. Next, use the drop-down menu next to the IF condition which allows you to select from a number of conditions. We recommend the State or Country condition allowing you to set up alerts for your territory.
- After selecting the State or Country condition, a text box appears to the right with a blue arrow button. Click the button to select states and countries relevant to your territory.
- You can continue setting up additional alerts or simply click Save in the upper right corner.
Show Only the Known and Anonymous Visitors in Your Territory
Set up your Website Prospector report to show only the known and anonymous visitors in your territory:
- On the left navigation bar, click Inbound > Website Prospector then at the top right click More.
- Locate the Website Prospector Content Settings option.
- Under Show Visitors hover over --all-- and click to open the editing options.
- In the first drop-down menu, choose Report visitors matching these criteria.
- In the following menus, choose relevant tracking information such as the area codes, states, or countries you’d like to view in the Anonymous Visitors view. This will include visitors who are not currently tracked by name, but by IP address only. Usually these tracking options are set to correspond with your sales territory.
- Click Submit once you’ve finished making your selections.
Set up your daily email report settings
- Click Inbound > Website Prospector and click More at the top right then click Website Prospector Daily Email Settings.
- On the Website Prospector Email Settings page, click on the the name of any user you wish to receive the daily email.
- On the following screen, check the box that says Enable Email Daily Digest of Website Visitors and enter in any other email addresses that you would like to copy on your daily report and click Submit.
My Sent Messages
If a message is sent on your behalf (from you) or by you via using Send Act-On Email in Salesforce or via the Outlook connector, these messages will be displayed in My Sent Messages which allows you to view your message reports. A list of sent emails will appear and you can drill down into each one for more specifics.
My Profile Section
Your profile is automatically imported from your Salesforce account. You can modify this information in the My Profile section.
- In the Name tab, fill out your profile and make sure your time zone is accurate.
- For Password, there is no need to modify your password here since you are accessing Act-On through a single sign-on process via Salesforce.
- Organization – by default the marketing user has already defined the default address which appears at the bottom of each email message. However, you can enter a different physical mailing address if you like. Make sure to check with your marketing department prior to making any changes with your email communications.
The Signatures section allows you access to multiple signatures for use in email.
- My Signatures – Generate as many customs signatures as you like. When creating an email, you can then quickly select which signature you wish to use for your message. Any signature generated here is specific to your account and accessible only by you.
- Account Signatures – In addition to the personal signatures you have created in the My Signatures tab, your Act-On marketing users can create account-wide signatures which are available to all users. When creating an email message, you will have access to these account signatures as well.
Act-On Contact Report (in Lead or Contact Records)
The Act-On Contact Report shows a short summary of the activities your lead or contact has performed that Act-On can track.
Act-On Account Report
The Act-On Account Report provides a summary of the activity and average lead score for all contacts or leads associated with your account.
Sending Act-On Email Messages
There are two methods you can use to send a message through Act-On to your leads and contacts. Sending email through Act-On provides you multiple benefits:
- You can send marketing-approved/marketing-created emails with just a few clicks
- You can send up to 200 personalized emails at a time to your leads and contacts
Once your leads or contacts click on an email message sent through Act-On, you are then able to see their website visits and set up alerts for those prospects.
Method 1: Sending an Individual Email
To send an email to a lead or contact in Salesforce, locate a Lead or Contact record and click to view their profile page. At the top of the profile, you will see a set of buttons. One of the buttons is labeled Send Act-On Email.
- Clicking on the Send Act-On Email button will present three options:
- Start with a Blank Message – This allows you to create an email from scratch
- Start from a Message Template – This is the option you will use most often. Your marketing team can create templates you can use to send emails to your prospects.
- Start from a Previous Message – This option allows you to view emails that you have sent in the past to reuse again for a new lead or prospect
- When starting from a message template or any previous email, you have the option to customize the email for your lead or contact.
- After customizing the email or simply reviewing it for accuracy, ensure the 'To:' field is populated with the lead or contact’s email address.
- Use the test option to send a sample email to yourself to check the formatting and clickthrough links in your message.
- To send the email, click the Send button in the upper right corner. The email will be sent on your behalf to the lead or contact you chose.
Method 2: Sending a Mass Email
Instead of sending individual emails, you can also choose to send a mass email to a group of up to 200 leads or contacts at a time. The Act-On Mass Email option is very similar to the Send Act-On Email option.
- To select recipients for your mass email, click on the Leads or Contacts tab to display all your leads or contacts. Our example will create an email blast for leads; however the process for sending to contacts is the same.
- On the Leads page, you will need to use a view to select leads to send your message to. Select a view from the drop-down menu and click the Go button to the right.
- If you do not want to use an existing view or if you wish to create a new view, click the Create New View link.
- Creating a new view requires you to set up a filter similar to reports in Salesforce. Select the criteria for your view and click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have selected your view, the leads that meet the view criteria will be displayed for you. From this screen, you will notice that there is a checkbox to the left of each lead. Select the checkboxes next to the leads that you would like to send your message to. You can select up to 200 leads across multiple pages.
- After selecting your leads, click the Send Act-On Email button in the upper right corner. The next screen allows you to create your message in exactly the same way as when you send individual emails to a lead or contact. However, you will now notice that the 'To:' field displays the number of leads and is clickable for viewing the addresses.
- Once you’re satisfied with your leads selection and the content of your message, be sure to send yourself a test.
- To send the email, click Send. You will have the option to send the message immediately by selecting Send Now or scheduling the date and time for the message launch.