In Act-On's All Contacts, click More Filters > Contact Preferences to filter your All Contacts segments for Opt-Outs, Inactive Soft Bounces, Hard Bounces, Spam Reports, SMS Opt-Ins, and SMS Opt-Outs. You can use Contact Preference segments in your messages and Automated Programs.
- These segments are system-generated and cannot be deleted. Opt-outs, hard bounces, and spam reports will automatically be suppressed from your email communications.
- Changes made to Contact Preferences in All Contacts will also appear in Other Lists > Bounces & Opt-Outs.
View Contact Preferences
In Contacts > All Contacts, you'll find Contact Preferences under Segments > More Filters. Once here, click on any of the following segments to see details for contacts who are:
- Inactive Soft Bounces
- Soft Bounces
- Hard Bounces
- Spam Complaints
In addition to the standard contact profile fields, these segments also provide specific data related to a contact's bounce or opt-out, including timestamp and origin.
Learn more about hard bounces, soft bounces, and suppressions here.
Change Contact Preference Statuses
If you'd like, you can change certain contacts' preference status. This includes:
- Removing an opt-out
- Changing a soft bounce to a hard bounce
Remove an opt-out
- Click the Opt-Out segment in Contact Preferences.
- Hover over the contact you wish to update, then click the three dots icon.
- Click Remove opt-out to remove this contact as an opt-out:
Change status from soft bounce to hard bounce
- Click the Soft Bounces segment in Contact Preferences.
- Hover over the contact you'd like to update, then click the three dots icon.
- Click Change to hard bounce:
To change multiple soft bounce contacts to hard bounces:
- Check the box to the left of each contact you'd like to switch to hard bounces.
- Click Change to hard bounce in the top-right corner:
Delete or Export Contacts
You can easily delete or export all bounced or opted-out contacts from your Contact Preferences segments at any time. To do this:
- Go to Segments > More Filters > Contact Preferences in All Contacts.
- Hover over the segment you'd like to delete or export contacts from.
- Click the three dots icon.
- Click Export to export contacts from this segment in a CSV file.
- Click Delete all contacts to delete contacts currently in this segment.
Import Opt-Out or Bounce Status
Set contact preference statuses when importing new contacts into All Contacts. This helps you identify when new contacts are hard bounces, soft bounces, or have opted out.
- Go to the All Contacts main page (Contacts > All Contacts).
- Click the three dots menu at the top right.
- Select Import contacts:
- Click Select CSV file to upload your contacts list
Tip! Your file should contain at least one contact address that you'd like to set preferences for.
- Map your list fields to your Act-On Contacts fields, then select Preview.
- In the Import Summary, check the Add contact preference box.
- Select one of the following statuses to upload with your list:
- Hard Bounce
- Soft Bounce
- Click Import Contacts
Opting Out Contacts
If you'd like to opt-out contacts from your All Contacts segments, you can do so manually in Contacts > Other Lists > Bounces & Opt Outs. Learn more here.
You can also opt-out multiple contacts at once with an Automated Program. Learn more here.