If you would like to create a segment based on marketing activities conducted outside Act-On, you can use the Custom Touch Points feature to upload the list. Alternatively, the upload process can be programmatically managed by using our Webhooks or Rest API. Provide this link to your technical resource for API implementation details.
For example, if you attended a trade show and obtained a list of contacts, you may want to create a segment based on that behavior (i.e., attending a trade show) in Act-On. To do this, follow the steps in the sections below.
If the Custom Touch Points feature is not enabled on your account, please contact Act-On Support.
Custom Touch Point lists can't be used for sending messages. You can upload the same file as a Marketing List for emails and other marketing.
A. Upload Data for a New Custom Touch Point
- Go to Contacts > Other Lists > Custom Touch Points.
- Click the New button to create a list:
- Click the Choose File button to upload your Excel/CSV list, and click Next:
B. Identify Necessary Fields and Create Your New Custom Touch Point
- In the options below the yellow table, specify the Date Format that you would like Act-On to use for this custom event list. This format should correspond with the date format in your list.
- Specify the Action that is specific to this event.
You can use one of the pre-defined actions: downloaded media, registered for an event, or attended an event, or you can create up to six of your own, as follows:Go to Contacts > Other Lists > Custom Touch Points > Behavior Names, and enter the user-defined Behavior Display Names you want in the boxes. Click Save when you have finished. For example:
- Specify the field for the event date in the When field.
- Specify the Email field.
- Specify the Title field (The Title field is used for the event name, not for the contact's job title).
- Specify the Notes field (This field could be a 'description' field). For example:
- When you have finished, click Next. You are notified about any new or invalid data, for example:
If there are invalid data, you can click Back to go and fix them.
- Click Finish. Your new custom touch point is shown, for example:
C. Segment on New Custom Touch Point
Once your new Custom Touch Point is created with supporting data uploaded or imported, you can use the new behaviors when creating a segment using the behavior-based Query Method: