Create list segments using data points related to your Leads and Contacts with our feature CRM Segmentation. With this, you can market to segments of your Leads and Contacts which are more dynamic and targeted than a standard list segment. This includes segmentation based on campaign membership, opportunities, owners, accounts, and other related objects (this varies by CRM).
Read further to learn how to use this feature.
- Account Based Marketing add-on feature
- If you would like this feature, contact your Account Manager for further assistance.
- An active connection with a supported CRM:
- Microsoft Dynamics
Note: Make sure that the connected CRM user has Read access to the CRM objects you'll be using for segmentation, such as Accounts and Opportunities
- CRM Administration panel set up and running a recurring sync
- CRM list(s) imported to Act-On
- From the relevant List, select Create a Segment from the list menu
- Build your segment query:
- Select CRM from the first dropdown menu
- Select the object you wish to search against in the second menu
- Select the field.
- Select an operator (eg "equals", "contains", "starts with", "is between or equals", etc)
- Specify the value. See also Notes on CRM Field Values, below.
- Name your segment.
- Click Save.
Notes on CRM Field Values
- Boolean Values: Data fields such as checkboxes will contain Boolean values. Some CRMs use 0 and 1, while others will use TRUE and FALSE. You can see these values in the CRM Administration panel data preview. You may also consult your CRM administrator to confirm the correct Boolean values to search your data.
- Picklist Search: By default, picklist fields will provide a dropdown menu of the options available in your CRM. If you instead wish to search the picklist values, this can be changed to a text box. Contact Support to enable this change.
Example: Closed Won Opportunities
This segment query returns all Contacts associated with Opportunities that are in a Closed Won status in Salesforce. You can use a segment like this to source an Automated Program that sends an email out to contacts when a deal closes.
- CRM: Salesforce
- Segment of list: All Salesforce Contacts
- Query segment conditions:
- Data Type: CRM
- Object: Opportunities
- Field: Stage
- Operator: equals
- Value: Closed Won
FAQs and Troubleshooting
Why isn't my segment updating with new contacts when my list has synced?
Recurring sync in CRM Administration may not be scheduled, or may be improperly timed
The most common cause of this issue is incorrect sync timing or an unscheduled CRM sync. CRM segments rely on current CRM data, which is managed separately in the CRM Administration panel. Please ensure that sync is running regularly.
Best practice: Schedule the sync on the CRM Administration panel to run just prior to your scheduled list sync to ensure all segments are promptly updated. Running the sync later will delay segment updates.
See CRM Administration Setup and FAQs for more information.
Why is my segment empty? / Why does my segment have 0 contacts?
Your search may be incorrect
Generally, the cause for CRM segments to return 0 contacts is that there are no results to the query generated. Make sure that your search conditions are correct.
Common mistakes include:
- Typographical errors (aka typos)
- Flaws in the query logic (click here for more information)
- Incorrect Boolean values (see Notes on CRM Field Values above)
- Incorrect CRM object selected (eg Opportunities vs Opportunity Contact)
- The segment is on the incorrect list (eg Leads vs Contacts)