Act-On allows you to manually unsubscribe a group of recipients by adding contacts to your opt-out list through segmentation, automated program, or by using Act-On's API. API can also remove contacts from your opt-out list in bulk.
Opt-Out Multiple Contacts
If you have a specific list of email addresses, you can upload them to the Opt-Out List. To opt-out an entire list/segment in bulk, follow the steps below.
Create a Segment
The first step is to create a segment of one of your lists that contains the contacts that you want to unsubscribe from.
- Click Contacts, and click Marketing Lists, or click Other Lists for Signup, or Webinar Lists
- Hover over the list or segment and click the dropdown menu for More
- Choose to Create a Segment
- Choose the Query option in the Method drop-down
- Combine expression with AND
- Click the Behavior option in the drop-down for the criteria
- Select in all-time as the date criteria and choose Opted Out equals none for the behavior (this keeps out contacts who are already in the Opt-Out List)
- Click on the plus sign to add any additional criteria that will identify which contacts to opt-out
Create an Automated Program
Next, you should create an Automated Program that will push your segment to the Opt-Out list automatically.
- Navigate to Automation > Automated Programs, then click the plus sign to create a new program
- In the Source Lists section, click Add and select the segment that you created above
- Set the other program details, including the schedule that the program should use to run
- Under Program Flow, drag and drop Add to Opt-Outs step to the program flow
- Click Done to save your program
Remove Contacts from Opt-Outs
If you're using Act-On's API, the Remove Opt-Outs endpoint allows you to bulk add opted-in contact records to remove them from the opt-out list. Learn more about this endpoint here.
There is no bulk method to remove contacts from your Opt-Out List in the Act-On application itself. If you're not using Act-On's API, we recommend either removing opt-outs individually or using a form to encourage customers to opt-in again:
- Create an Act-On form and host it on a landing page or your marketing website
- Create a form confirmation email that will be sent after a contact submits that form
(These are considered transactional, so they will still be sent to opted-out contacts)
- Include an opt-out link as the main CTA for that confirmation email – when the contact clicks, they will be taken to a page where they can manage their subscription
If you need to have your entire Opt-Out list removed, Act-On will not be able to fulfill the request due to legal reasons. The only exception is if you uploaded the wrong Opt-Out list to our system.