You may have a business need to download your Act-On content and data. Common uses for this data include:
- External storage/backup for compliance purposes
- Analysis of reports/data using a Business Intelligence (BI) tool
- Download of your account content (pages, messages, etc.)
- Export tool - most efficient option, but a few data types are not included
- Data Studio - easy to consume format (great for BI), but does not include any content assets
- API - most comprehensive option, but a technical resource is required
You may need to use some combination of these based on your specific scenario.
Please note: These are all of the methods available to export your account information. Act-On Technical Support does not have access to additional tools, and will recommend these same options.
Using the Export Tool
DataExport is a Java executable file extracts account data using Act-On’s API. Simply enter your Act-On credentials, and the tool will create a folder with your content and data.
- Email Messages
- Email headers and footers
- Landing Pages*
- Image Library*
- Media Library
- Lists (all lists, in CSV format)
- Logos (from Branding section)
*The current version of this tool has a few limitations:
- Program execution
- For detailed logs during program execution, make sure to run the tool from your command line as described below
- The program could take several hours to run based on the amount of content in your account (particularly emails) – please note that your computer will need to be powered on for the entire process
- Only Classic Forms are included
- The export returns form attributes including a URL for the form HTML, but not the HTML content itself
- File attachments are not downloaded
- If multiple image files have the same name, it will only download the first that was uploaded
- Landing Pages
- The export returns form attributes including a URL for the Landing Page HTML, but not the HTML content itself
- Download the .jar file here
- Download Java from this website and install it on your computer
- Windows: Installation steps can be found here
- Mac: Installation steps can be found here
- If you already have Java:
- In your terminal or Powershell, input ‘java -version’ in the Command Prompt and press Enter to see your Java version
- If you see the error, "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command" then you will first need to install Java from the link above
- This tool has been tested and verified for Java Version 8 - to upgrade your version, use the links above
- In your terminal or Powershell, navigate to the folder you downloaded the .jar file
- Run the following command to start the export:
java -jar DataExportTool.jar
- When requested, provide the username and password for your Act-On admin user
- A popup when the export is complete
Using Data Studio
Data Studio allows you to export both Lists and Behavior Data (message opens, clicks, webpage visits, form submissions, etc.) in Excel or CSV format.
Data Studio does not export your content (Landing Pages, Forms, Email templates, etc.). It is meant to export data for reporting/analysis.
To meet your compliance and BI needs, Act-On recommends that you:
- Define the data to be exported
- Export the needed historical data
- Set the exports on a schedule to export new data going forward
Set up an external destination and export the data directly to your desired storage location, as the files can be quite large.
Set up Exports
- Determine which types of behavior data you want to utilize, between Email Messages, Forms, Landing Pages, Media, Webinars, and Webpages
- Create an Export for each desired content type, making sure to:
- Check all relevant actions you want to track
- Select Detailed log data in the Grouping tab
Exception: For Webpage data, consider leaving out anonymous traffic, since it is a high volume of data but does tie to a specific contact
- Choose fields in the Fields tab to suit your data needs
- Name the output file appropriately for how you will organize the data
Generate Historical Data
Data Studio has limitations on how much data can be exported at once:
- Tokens and Exports – if you are planning a one-time historical export in excess of your contracted Data Studio usage, contact your Account Manager
- Time frame – The longest time window Data Studio can generate a report for (with no filters applied) is one year
- Rows of data – Each Export is limited to 5,000,000 rows, so data sets larger than this must be split into multiple Exports with shorter durations
To pull historical behavior data:
- Open the Export for Email data that you created above
- Generate this Export for the current year from January 1 to today's date
- If you see an error that the 5,000,000 row limit has been exceeded, select a smaller time window and try again (repeat if necessary)
This will result in data for all content types with multiple files covering your chosen time frame.
Schedule Ongoing Exports
- Make sure you have a Destination set up in Data Studio (cloud storage or FTP) to host your exported files
- Edit each Export created above to run on a schedule (eg., daily or weekly)
- When each scheduled Export runs, it will generate all behavior data for that data type recorded since the last run of the Export
If you need more tokens and exports to support your ongoing data exports, contact your Account Manager.
Using the API
Act-On’s API is the most complete method to download your account data. There are endpoints to access content, lists, and reporting data.
You will need a technical resource with the skill set to construct API calls. You will also need to request a developer account if you do not have one already.
See developer.act-on.com for full API documentation.