Act-On has a built-in Link Shortener for SMS. When you use it, your SMS message will include a custom short link that uses your Custom Marketing Domain. Each SMS Recipient will receive a different link that redirects to the URL you provided.
Act-On can also track individual SMS message clicks just like with Email.
Note: Act-On cannot track SMS clickthroughs on URLs that were not shortened. You MUST use the Link Shortener to track SMS click behavior.
How short is it?
The length of your Act-On short link will depend on the length of your Custom Marketing Domain and the Recipient ID, which is between 4-8 characters and randomly generated. The link will also have a Random ID for your URL, which will be 3 or 4 characters.
When including the other necessary text and characters of a complete URL, the short link will be a maximum of 24 characters PLUS your Custom Marketing Domain.
When the short link is created, Act-On inserts a placeholder for the maximum number of characters so that your SMS length always reflects the highest estimate.
You will use the Link Shortener while you are creating an SMS Message.
- From the SMS Message Composer, click the link icon
- Insert the full URL you want to add to your message
- Not accepted:
- Click Test this link to open as a new tab in your browser and confirm the URL is correct
- To use click tracking, Enable Link Tracking should be checked. This is the default selection. De-select this option to disable tracking.
- Click Insert to add the URL to your message
Once inserted, the link will show a placeholder URL. When you send your message, it will be customized to a trackable link that is different for each Recipient.
- Example placeholder in SMS Composer:
- Example recipient URL: